Choosing what to wear is literally one of the most important things for a successful session. You want to be comfortable and feel yourself along with looking good for your photos ! Your wardrobe should also match the type of session you are planning for. Not only should it match your style but mine as well. I don’t typically shoot fancy sessions down on Main Street. My style is more natural and bohemian. So often times my suggestions for wardrobes match that. Below is my style guide of Do’s and Dont’s for your wardrobe prep.
Below are some websites I highly suggest browsing when selecting your outfits:
- Ladies: Maxi dressers are flattering, flowy and easy to sit in. If you prefer to wear jeans and a longer flowy top with a long sweater or cardigan, depending on the weather always looks nice as well.
- Men: Button up shirt always suits every body type.
- The Littles: V-neck, solid t-shirt, cute button up, vest, sweater for boys, rompers or flowy dresses for girls and layer for colder weather.
- Deep jewel tones photograph best. Please make sure all clothing fits well. Don’t feel that you have to match, the eye is drawn to everyone looking a little different.
- Do not wear neon/bright orange or pink. It makes awful color casts. Similarly, teal and greens can leave your images cool and lacking pop of color.
- Do not wear polo’s. They don’t photograph well on boys or dads. Go for a solid t-shirt or a button up instead.
- Do not wear cocktail, tight or short dresses. They’re hard to sit in and may look out of place in rustic locations.
The Milliron Family did a session early in the fall this year. With the rich green grass and a little bit of sunshine they picked perfect colors to match for their session!
The DePue family was scheduled for a maternity session. They decided to have their session done at their new farm. We collaborated to choose outfits to match the setting and the session. Becca’s dress was great for showing off her bump as well as comfy for snuggling with her family. The girls dresses were cute, flowy and fun for playing in.
Kayla and Calebs engagement sessions was one of my favorites. We shot at sunset in one of my favorite hayfields and Kayla chose a wardrobe to match perfectly as well as be comfortable.
Lexi, Natalie and Luke joined me at the pumpkin patch this fall for a fun evening outside! I loved their outfits because it allowed the to play and venture around looking for a pumpkin along with being cute.
You can also refer to my Pinterest page full of boards for each type of session with multiple examples of great outfits!